Saturday, September 29, 2012

Time Management - An Unhurried Life


"To be spiritually healthy, you must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life."
"Be still and know that I AM God" (Psalm 46:10)
What steps can you take to simplify your life?
In his book "The Life You've Always Wanted," John Ortberg teaches spiritual disciplines for ordinary people.
In Chapter 5 titled "An Unhurried Life," John explains "the practice of 'slowing'." He states that not long after moving to Chicago, he called the wisest spiritual mentor he has ever known to ask for spiritual direction. John described the pace at which things tended to move in his current setting. He told about the rhythms of his family life and the present condition of his heart. Then John asked what he needed to do to be spiritually healthy. After a long pause, the wise mentor answered "You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life." After writing down that lesson, John asked "Now what else is there?" Another long pause and then the answer came "There is nothing else."
John states: "The lives of the hurry-sick lack simplicity. Hurried people cannot love. Today we have largely traded wisdom for information. Love and hurry are incompatible. Jesus never hurried. Solitude is the remedy for the busyness that charms."
In my wallet, I carry a beautiful card with a serene picture of a house with a water wheel and Psalm 46:10. This serves as a constant reminder for me to be still to rest in the LORD.
Jesus invites you to rest in Him. Accept His invitation!
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)
Prayer Power
Abba, thank You that I can call You Father because I am Your child. Thank You for Your patience with me when I allow myself to get too busy. Thank You for the ways You work in my life to steer me to more godly habits to slow down and thereby practice the presence of God. Almost everywhere I go, I see hurry- sick people. Please bless the people reading this message to be able to ruthlessly eliminate hurry from their own lives so that they may be spiritually healthy. May they be still to know that You are God so that they may experience Your deep and abiding love which can then be poured into the lives of many others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

awsurveys.com